HAAPI Films Gave me Good Vibes

Past weekend was the final week of HAAPI Film Festival. It was my pleasure to attend the screening of MELE MURALS and meeting the film director Tadashi Nakamura. I'm a big fan of his work. I watched his earlier film Jake Shimabukuro: Life on Four Strings on Xfinity on Demand in April, when it was available from CAAMFest sponsorship.
So glad to pose with my favorite Asian film director, Tad Nakamura
I couldn't believe he is a fourth generation Japanese American lives in LA and never lived in Hawaii. But he was able to bring the best of his ability to help the audience to experience the actors' reality. Both movies are based on true stories with a documentary format. However, it requires more knowledge about Hawaii when you watch Mele Murals. I asked someone after the movie as if she knew certain cultural references. But without those Hawaiian terms, the movie will not make sense.

Tad was at CAAMfest in SF.
So...Same feeling with Kumu Hina from last year's screening. I felt connected immediately with the topic, because I lived in Hawaii and learned something special about Hawaiian culture and customs. I didn't learn how to hula, but I sure learned how to properly pronounce Hawaiian. Hina was the language director for Queen Emma Hawaiian Civic Club Chorus. Under her direction and dedication, we competed at annual Aha Mele in 2001. It was nice to see a friend from the past on the silver screen.


Four Strings was on the cover of Cinemas of Asian American collection

I can't wait to see more Asian Pacific Islander films next year. Here is the page from this year's lineup. ocahouston.org/haapiff

I love this Festival video at the beginning of each screening.
(Mmm... not sure what I was doing here https://youtu.be/xjVc8PQoiLg?t=45s)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Foodie Adventure PGH Edition 2023

North Golden Sun Plaza

Dim Sum Menu at Arco Seafood Restaurant