Road to TexDem Convention

This is a 3-part story on how I became a delegate from Precinct level to County level. Previously, I was a Delegate at SD Convention.

I'm a delegate from SD 13 in Harris County.
The Texas Democratic Convention was a 3-day event in San Antonio, June 16-18, 2016.
Thursday was really for committees and organizers to meet during the day. I was just a novice delegate not holding any office. I arrived in San Antonio in late afternoon. The first thing on my agenda was to attend the kickoff parties. I prepaid $50 per person with intention to bring a guest to the Official Kickoff Reception at Villita Assembly Building. Guess what? I arrived late. I barely got to nibble on the variety of salsas with some chips. I consider my $100 was purely donation to the Party.
Chalkboard fun
Quite of crowd when it's free
Reception Food

The next party was hosted by Bexar County Democratic Party just across the walkway at La Villita Historic Arts Village. The music was blasting. People were dancing. Speeches were flowing. It was quite a scene. But I was starving and needed a place to sit down. I wore my real cowboy boots for the first time. Of course, no one was looking.

After my breakfast dinner at nearby McDonald's, I proceeded to the next kickoff party hosted by Stonewall Democrats at Paramour. I didn't stay long. I met a couple of candidates and took some pictures. I ended my day early to prepare for next day.

The Convention was held at Alamodome. It was an all-day affair from 8 to 5. Since I'm not a morning person, but I tried to be energized and involved. I planned to attend 3 caucus meeting, but only able to sit with Asian Caucus. There were many non-Asians who wanted to see what we do.
Enter by SD numbers to register
Registration counters
All caucus meetings finished right before the Senate District meetings 3 to 5. I was excited to meet the delegates from other precincts that we only communicate via emails. Most of elected officials who serve in Houston came to visit us, including Mayor Sylvester Turner. We spent majority of time electing numerous positions to the committees at the SD level. As well as electing the delegates to go to Democratic National Convention in Philadelphia next month.
Do you ever wonder what to wear at a convention?

For those who got elected on Friday would have to attend meeting and training on Saturday. I was among everyone else to enjoy what San Antonio has to offer.

Here are my posts on Twitter: Scene from Kickoff Party; LGBT Caucus Meeting; Vendor at Exhibit Floor; Ready for Asian Caucus; Elected Officials from Houston; Hispanic Caucus meeting. And photos at Alamodome by me on Yelp.

My final blog will be a summary. But, I need to take a break for now.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Foodie Adventure PGH Edition 2023

North Golden Sun Plaza

Dim Sum Menu at Arco Seafood Restaurant