Delegate at SD Convention

This is a 3-part story on how I became a delegate from Precinct level to County level.

Me at Wheatley HS during SD13 Convention
It started as a simple question, "would you like to attend the Senate District Convention?" A young lady sat at a high school table asked me as I cast my ballot during the Primary Election on March 1st. My poll location has always been at a school near my house. However, this election was a little different as certain precincts were moved to a different location for Democratic Party candidates. But the Republican candidates are voted at the same location. This change set off some angry voters. *

Days passed, I almost forgot about what I signed up for. Suddenly, I received an email invitation from Joe Jennings, Chairman for Precinct 565. I registered to attend the Senate District Convention as instructed. Then, I was patiently waited for this once-of-my-lifetime experience.

In the State of Texas, there are 31 Senate Districts. Because of the larger population in Harris County, we have 4 Senate Districts. Based on my residential address, I belong to the 13th Senate District.
SD13 Chairperson speaking to the audience

I was surprised to see a chilling effect at the SD Convention - the auditorium Phillis Wheatley High School was barely filled and the air conditioning was blasting. The organizer marked the aisles by precinct numbers. I sat far left of the room by myself. There wasn't anyone around me to socialize. Since this was my first time, I didn't know what to expect. As I walked around during recess, I only saw one other Asian person. *

I recognized Rep. Gene Wu, the Texas House Representative for District 137 (Chinatown) and listened to elevating speech by U.S. Representative Sheila Jackson Lee for Texas's 18th Congressional District. I was approached a few times from people facilitating Resolutions (the initial steps in proposing for changes that require signatures and approved before it can be submitted to become law).
Sheila Jackson-Lee poses photo with audience

According to the rule, the amount of delegates is determined by popular votes. For SD 13, it needed 540 delegates to State Convention. Due to low attendance at the SD Convention, they couldn't conduct "election" for who would go to the State Convention. I left as I would be interested.

Few weeks later, I received an email from Texas Democratic Party as Harris County submitted my name to be a Delegate at the State Convention in San Antonio. I guess it's a good sign. I got promoted. Ha!

I have been preparing for this biggest event of my life. Here is my part 2 as I go to TexDem Convention.

* Room for improvements.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Foodie Adventure PGH Edition 2023

North Golden Sun Plaza

Dim Sum Menu at Arco Seafood Restaurant