My 5K Challenge


Before my trip to California, I had to do a little soul searching with my loyalty programs. Who gives me the most wins. I have AAdvantage and Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards.
This is a nerve wracking challenge
Late June, I received an invitation to join a 5K Challenge. Here is how it goes. 

Earn up to 5,000 AAdvantage® bonus miles when you register and complete these qualifying activities in any order through September 30, 2018:
  • Make any purchase with AAdvantage® eShopping℠
  • Dine-in or carry out with AAdvantage® Dining℠
  • Book and stay at a hotel at bookaahotels.com
  • Rent and drive a car at aa.com/cars
  • Fly on an American Airlines marketed and operated flight
Waiting on 2500 miles from hotel stay

But here is the tricky part. The points are accumulated by steps.
· 1 activity = 50 bonus miles
· 2 activities = 250 bonus miles
· 3 activities = 1,000 bonus miles
· 4 activities = 2,500 bonus miles
· 5 activities = 5,000 bonus miles

I started with Shopping (50) and Dining (+200). Before the trip, I earned 300 bonus miles. Then, I bought American Airline ticket through the website. After travel started, another 750 miles added. I completed my car rental from Avis at SJC and racked up another 1500 miles. I am patiently waiting for my 2500 miles for my hotel stay.

I booked a very weird place called Saratoga House through bookaahotels.com. It's a room with shared bath in Saratoga. I had to call it B&B because you can cook your own breakfast with whatever is in the refrigerator. Oh. That was nasty. One night was only $75, cheaper than hotel because there was no hotel tax. The downside was no parking. I had to ask my sister to drop me off and pick me up to go to the airport next morning. WiFi was turned off when I got up at 6 am and didn't turn on until 7 am. There is no cell data signal or any hot spot WiFi available nearby.
Because this is an unconventional hotel, they are slow on releasing my AA miles. I am stuck with pending 2500 point to complete the 5k Challenge. I wrote to customer service. She says it should post as soon as the miles are added to my account. 

Overall. I would consider fly American Airlines if I can avoid taking CRJ class airplanes. I refused to rent another car from Avis or Budget. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Foodie Adventure PGH Edition 2023

North Golden Sun Plaza

Dim Sum Menu at Arco Seafood Restaurant