Salubong Experience

I would never imagine such beautiful and meaningful Easter celebration in Houston. This is a unique service called "Salubong" on Easter Sunday at Notre Dame Catholic Church.
Powerful presentation by the Filipino Catholic Community
Salubong means "meeting" in Tagalog. It was a traditional Filipino devotion to reenact the Risen Christ's meeting with His mother. This was my first time attending an early morning service. I arrived a little after at 4 am as the parking lots were already full. I was directed by the attendant to a parking spot.

I saw candle holding parishioners, mostly women, queued up behind a Virgin Mary's statue surrounded by priests and alter staff. They sang like chants. There was another group in the rear parking lot holding a Jesus statue in the same formation, except they were all men. A small stage setup in front of the church for the angels (dressed up by the church youngsters). I arrived after the ceremony already started. I could only trail behind the women's group and never really witnessed the men's group until everyone joined in front of the church.

The reenactment was very well presented by the Filipino community. Those 2 "angels" on the stage, one was singing and the other one removed a black veil from Mary, signified as burden removed. Watch my short video posted on YouTube. https://youtu.be/aI-dZ34R7iY

Beautifully arranged Easter floral at the alter.
A bilingual church service followed the presentation. Most of hymes were in Tagalog. I couldn't understand the lyrics but the melody was very soothing and fit perfectly for the occasion. I wonder if this was the only Salubong offered in Houston. I have to appraise this Easter presentation was quite of performance.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Foodie Adventure PGH Edition 2023

North Golden Sun Plaza

Dim Sum Menu at Arco Seafood Restaurant