HoustonRodeo on a Budget

Based on my memory from a talk thread last year, Mrs F (profile was deleted) sent me some tips on going to Houston Rodeo on a budget - park off site and take METROrail to Reliant. Instead of $20 onsite parking, this would only cost below $10 including a round-trip rail fare.

Google Map app says 25 min to go.
Last Friday, I went with my Yelper friend Samantha to watch John Legend concert at NRG Stadium. I parked at my favorite downtown spot - SAKS GARAGE. I arrived around 5. According to the parking attendant, the cost to park after 3 pm on weekdays is $5. That price included weekends, as long as you leave by 1:30 or 2 am.

The weather was pretty good - a little chilly with
a cloudless sky. I walked a few blocks to Main Street Square station, bought my one-way ticket $1.25 prior to boarding. The friendly fare inspector directed me to the right train - South Bound. So, Reliant would be the last stop.

 The METROrail passed many beautiful and interesting sights, I didn't notice the actual time spent to get there. Once the passengers got off the rail, we were herded to the entrance.

I was glad that I listened to the METRO guides by purchasing a return ticket early. There was no time to buy ticket on the way back. As I was leaving the park, the passengers were queued to the waiting area prior to board the rail. It was packed and I stood all the way until my destination. This ride was a little boring - dark outside (although I saw Meccon Fountain) and looking at passengers dozing off.
10:47-11:05 From queuing up to boarding the rail and 11:35 arrived at my original station

The Verdict:

  • Last year, I drove with a friend and parked at Yellow Lot for $20. It was a long walk to take the tram. It took us almost an hour to get out of parking lot from the moment we got on the car.
  • This year, I came by myself. $7.50 took care of my parking situation. However, you must be fit to endure the physical demand. It took me 20 minutes from the wait station to boarding METROrail and another 30 minutes from Reliant Stadium Station to Main Street Square station.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Foodie Adventure PGH Edition 2023

North Golden Sun Plaza

Dim Sum Menu at Arco Seafood Restaurant